The NES Classic Mini is capable of playing SNES games with a little modding (no hardware modification). It’s very easy to setup and anybody can do it. Simply follow our friendly guide and start adding and running SNES ROMs on your NES Classic Mini.
Before we get started:
You will need a computer running Windows to complete this tutorial. This guide uses the latest version of hakchi2 CE which we highly recommend.
Add and Play SNES Games on NES Classic Mini
(Skip to step #6 if you have already installed hakchi2 CE)
1. Download hakchi2 CE (click on hakchi2_CE_#.#.#.zip) and extract it to your computer.
2. Open hakchi.exe.
3. Go to Kernel > Install / Repair.
4. Hit Yes to flash custom kernel.
5. When prompted to, connect your NES Mini to your computer (with the included USB cable), then hold the Reset button and press the Power switch. Wait a few seconds and release the Reset button. You will also need to hit Install driver if this is your first time modding a console.
6. After the flashing is complete, go to Modules > Hakchi Mod store.
7. Go to the Retroarch tab, select the latest RetroArch ‘Neo’, and press Download and Install Module.
If prompted, follow the instructions and prepare your NES Mini.
8. Go to the Retroarch Cores, select SNES9x Retroarch Core, and press Download and Install Module.
9. Exit the Hakchi Mod store and press Add more games. Now add your ROMs (you can add multiple files at a time and you do not need to extract the ROMs if they are in a zip file).
10. (Optional) Select a game and you can edit the information including the game name, box art, and more on the right side under Game options. You can also right-click the game and hit Download box art for selected games to automatically download the box art.
11. Press Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini.
Once it is done, you can turn off the console, unplug it from your computer, connect it to your TV, and start playing SNES games on your NES Classic Mini.
Adding More SNES Games in the Future
You do not need to redo all these steps to add more games in the future.
1. Run hakchi.exe.
2. Hit Add more games and add your ROMs.
3. Hit Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini.
4. When prompted, connect your NES Classic Mini and turn it on.
It’s that easy to add more games after the initial setup!
If you have any problems or questions, please leave us a comment below.