The NES Classic Mini can do more than just play NES games, it is capable of running Gameboy games (Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and Gameboy Advance)! Follow our guide to learn how to install a Gameboy emulator and import ROMs to your mini console.
Before we get started:
You will need a computer running Windows to complete this tutorial. This guide uses the latest version of hakchi2 CE which we highly recommend.
Add and Play Gameboy Games on NES Classic Mini
(Skip to step #6 if you have already installed hakchi2 CE)
1. Download hakchi2 CE (click on hakchi2_CE_#.#.#.zip) and extract it to your computer.
2. Open hakchi.exe.
3. Go to Kernel > Install / Repair.
4. Hit Yes to flash custom kernel.
5. When prompted to, connect your NES Mini to your computer (with the included USB cable), then hold the Reset button and press the Power switch. Wait a few seconds and release the Reset button. You will also need to hit Install driver if this is your first time modding a console.
6. After the flashing is complete, go to Modules > Hakchi Mod store.
7. Go to the Retroarch tab, select the latest RetroArch ‘Neo’, and press Download and Install Module.
If prompted, follow the instructions and prepare your NES Mini.
8. Go to the Retroarch Cores, select mGBA Retroarch Core, and press Download and Install Module.
9. Exit the Hakchi Mod store and press Add more games. Now add your ROMs (you can add multiple files at a time and you do not need to extract the ROMs if they are in a zip file).
10. (Optional) Select a game and you can edit the information including the game name, box art, and more on the right side under Game options. You can also right-click the game and hit Download box art for selected games to automatically download the box art.
11. Press Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini.
After the synchronization is complete, the games will be available on the main menu.
Adding More Gameboy Games in the Future
Adding more games is easy.
1. Run hakchi.exe.
2. Hit Add more games and add your ROMs.
3. Hit Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini.
4. When prompted, connect your NES Classic Mini and turn it on.
If you have any problems or questions, please leave us a comment below.