Follow our tutorial to learn how to add more games to your NES Classic Mini. The console comes stock with 30 classic Nintendo games, but now you can import your own ROMs to your device. The NES Classic Mini has 512MB of storage, of which 200MB is used, leaving you with about 300MB of free storage to add more games. This guide works for both the original NES Classic Mini and the 2018 NES Classic Mini restock.
Before we get started:
You will need a computer running Windows to complete this tutorial. This guide uses the latest version of hakchi2 CE which we highly recommend.
Add More Games to the NES Classic Mini
1. Download hakchi2 CE (click on hakchi2_CE_#.#.#.zip) and extract it to your computer.
2. Open hakchi.exe.
3. Go to Kernel > Install / Repair.
4. Hit Yes to flash custom kernel.
5. When prompted to, connect your NES Mini to your computer (with the included USB cable), hold the Reset button and turn on the Power switch, then release the Reset button. You will also need to hit Install driver if this is your first time modding a console.
6. Hit Add more games and add your ROMs (you can add multiple files at time).
7. (Optional) Select a game and you can edit the information including the game name, box art, and more on the right side under Game options. You can also right-click the game and hit Download box art for selected games to automatically download the box art.
8. Hit Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini.
Once it is complete, the games will be available on your NES Classic Mini. You can turn off the console and disconnect it from your computer now.
Adding More Games in the Future
You do not need to redo all these steps to add more games in the future.
1. Run hakchi.exe.
2. Hit Add more games and add your ROMs.
3. Hit Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini.
4. When prompted, connect your NES Classic Mini and turn it on.
It’s that easy to add more games after the initial setup!
If you have any problems or questions, please leave us a comment below.