This guide will teach you how to play Sega Genesis games (like Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, and more) on your NES Classic Mini. We will first install a Sega Genesis emulator to the console and then import the ROMs. Let’s get started!
Before we get started:
You will need a computer running Windows to complete this tutorial. This guide uses the latest version of hakchi2 CE which we highly recommend.
Add and Play Sega Genesis Games on NES Classic Mini
(Skip to step #6 if you have already installed hakchi2 CE)
1. Download hakchi2 CE (click on hakchi2_CE_#.#.#.zip) and extract it to your computer.
2. Open hakchi.exe.
3. Go to Kernel > Install / Repair.
4. Hit Yes to flash custom kernel.
5. When prompted to, connect your NES Mini to your computer (with the included USB cable), then hold the Reset button and press the Power switch. Wait a few seconds and release the Reset button. You will also need to hit Install driver if this is your first time modding a console.
6. After the flashing is complete, go to Modules > Hakchi Mod store.
7. Go to the Retroarch tab, select the latest RetroArch ‘Neo’, and press Download and Install Module.
If prompted, follow the instructions and prepare your NES Mini.
8. Go to the Retroarch Cores, select Genesis Plus GX RetroArch Core, and press Download and Install Module.
9. Exit the Hakchi Mod store and press Add more games. Now add your ROMs (you can add multiple files at a time and you do not need to extract the ROMs if they are in a zip file).
10. (Optional) Select a game and you can edit the information including the game name, box art, and more on the right side under Game options. You can also right-click the game and hit Download box art for selected games to automatically download the box art.
11. Press Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini.
After the process is complete, you can turn off the console and disconnect it from your computer. The added games will be displayed on the main screen along with all your other titles.
Adding More Sega Genesis Games in the Future
It’s even easier to add more games in the future.
1. Run hakchi.exe.
2. Hit Add more games and add your ROMs.
3. Hit Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini.
4. When prompted, connect your NES Classic Mini and turn it on.
If you have any problems or questions, please leave us a comment below.