You can now mod your NES Classic Mini to play Nintendo 64 games! It’s easy and we will break down the whole process for you. Please keep in mind that the NES Classic Mini hardware is limited and some N64 games may not run well on it but many games do run well.
Before we get started:
You will need a computer running Windows to complete this tutorial. This guide uses the latest version of hakchi2 CE which we highly recommend.
Add and Play N64 Games on NES Classic Mini
(Skip to step #6 if you have already installed hakchi2 CE)
1. Download hakchi2 CE (click on hakchi2_CE_#.#.#.zip) and extract it to your computer.
2. Open hakchi.exe.
3. Go to Kernel > Install / Repair.
4. Hit Yes to flash custom kernel.
5. When prompted to, connect your NES Mini to your computer (with the included USB cable), then hold the Reset button and press the Power switch. Wait a few seconds and release the Reset button. You will also need to hit Install driver if this is your first time modding a console.
6. After the flashing is complete, go to Modules > Hakchi Mod store.
7. Go to the Retroarch tab, select the latest RetroArch ‘Neo’, and press Download and Install Module.
If prompted, follow the instructions and prepare your NES Mini.
8. Go to the Retroarch Cores, select Mupen64Plus Retroarch Core, and press Download and Install Module.
9. Exit the Hakchi Mod store and press Add more games. Now add your ROMs (you can add multiple files at a time and you do not need to extract the ROMs if they are in a zip file).
10. (Optional) Select a game and you can edit the information including the game name, box art, and more on the right side under Game options. You can also right-click the game and hit Download box art for selected games to automatically download the box art.
11. Press Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini.
After the sync is done, you can now turn off the console, disconnect it from your computer, and connect it to your TV. All of the new games will be available on the main screen.
Mario 64 runs well on the NES Classic Mini.
How-to Map Controller
You will also need to map your controller and assign buttons from the N64 controller to your own controller. Obviously the NES Classic controller does not have enough buttons to map the N64 controller well, so we recommend getting a Wii Classic Controller Pro which connects to the console without any additional accessories.
1. After you launch the game, press Start & Select to open up the RetroArch menu.
2. Go to Options and go down to Controls.
On this page you will be able to configure your controller.
Adding More N64 Games in the Future
You do not need to redo all these steps to add more games in the future.
1. Run hakchi.exe.
2. Hit Add more games and add your ROMs.
3. Hit Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini.
4. When prompted, connect your NES Classic Mini and turn it on.
It’s that easy to add more games after the initial setup!
Please leave a comment with the titles of the game that runs well on the NES Classic Mini. Thanks!