Are you already tired of the games on your NES Classic Mini? Learn how to add more games to your console. This tutorial will teach you how to add and play PSP games on your NES Classic Mini! That’s right PSP, PlayStation Portable games! Please keep in mind that some games may not run well on the mini.
Before we get started:
You will need a computer running Windows to complete this tutorial. This guide uses the latest version of hakchi2 CE which we highly recommend.
Add and Play PSP Games on NES Classic Mini
If you have already installed hakchi2 CE to your console then: run hakchi2 CE, connect your device to your computer, and turn it on. Wait until the status shows Online then skip to step #6. Otherwise, please start from step #1.
1. Download hakchi2 CE (click on hakchi2-ce-#.#.#-release.zip) and extract it to your computer.
2. Open hakchi.exe.
3. Go to Kernel > Install / Repair.
4. Hit Yes to flash custom kernel.
5. Connect your NES Mini to your computer with the included micro-USB cable and if prompted, make sure you install the drivers – you will only need to install the drivers your first time. Now follow the instructions on the screen: hold the Reset button, turn on the Power switch, and then after a few seconds release the Reset button.
6. After the flashing is complete, go to Modules > KMFD’s Mod Hub.
7. Go to the KMFD RetroArch tab, select the latest RetroArch, and press Download and Install Module.
8. Go to the KMFD Cores tab, select PPSSPP Xtreme under the Sony Playstation Portable section, and press Download and Install Module.
9. Exit the Mob Hub and press Add more games. Now add your ROM – it should be a .ISO file.
10. You will be prompted to Select Cores. First highlight the game name.
11. Select Sony – PlayStation Portable under System (top-right corner).
12. Now select PPSSPP under Core (bottom-right corner). Afterwards, press Apply then Close.
13. (Optional) Select the game and you can edit the information including the game name, box art, and more on the right side under Game options. You can also right-click the game and hit Download box art for selected games to automatically download the box art.
14. Press Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini.
The remaining storage on the console is displayed on the bottom status bar. If you are running out of memory, we recommend the USB-host tutorial which will allow you to run games off an external USB flash drive.
That’s it. You can disconnect the mini from your computer after the process is complete. The game will be available on your console.
How-to Map Controller
You will need to map your controller and assign buttons from the PSP controller to your own controller. The NES control is limited so we recommend the 8Bitdo Sn30 controller and receiver. This is how you assign buttons to your controller:
1. After you launch the game, press Start & Select to open up the RetroArch menu.
2. Go to Options and go down to Controls.
On this page you will be able to configure your controller.
Adding More PSX Games in the Future
Adding more games in the future is easy.
1. Run hakchi.exe.
2. Hit Add more games and add your ROMs.
3. Configure your game.
4. Hit Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini.
5. When prompted, connect your NES Classic Mini and turn it on.
It’s that easy to add more games after the initial setup!
Please let us know which titles ran well for you. Thank you!