Are you already tired of the games on your NES Classic Mini? Learn how to add more games to your console. This tutorial will teach you how to add and play PSP games on your NES Classic Mini! That’s right PSP, PlayStation Portable games! Please keep in mind that some games may not run well on the mini.
Before we get started:
You will need a computer running Windows to complete this tutorial. This guide uses the latest version of hakchi2 CE which we highly recommend.
Add and Play PSP Games on NES Classic Mini
(Skip to step #6 if you have already installed hakchi2 CE)
1. Download hakchi2 CE (click on hakchi2_CE_#.#.#.zip) and extract it to your computer.
2. Open hakchi.exe.
3. Go to Kernel > Install / Repair.
4. Hit Yes to flash custom kernel.
5. When prompted to, connect your NES Mini to your computer (with the included USB cable), then hold the Reset button and press the Power switch. Wait a few seconds and release the Reset button. You will also need to hit Install driver if this is your first time modding a console.
6. After the flashing is complete, go to Modules > Hakchi Mod store.
7. Go to the Retroarch tab, select the latest RetroArch ‘Neo’, and press Download and Install Module.
If prompted, follow the instructions and prepare your NES Mini.
8. Go to the Retroarch Cores, select PPSSPP Neo Retroarch Core, and press Download and Install Module.
9. Exit the Hakchi Mod store and press Add more games. Now add your ROM – it should be a .ISO file.
10. You will be prompted to Select Cores. First highlight the game name.
11. Select Sony – PlayStation Portable under System (top-right corner).
12. Now select PPSSPP under Core (bottom-right corner). Afterwards, press Apply then Close.
13. (Optional) Select the game and you can edit the information including the game name, box art, and more on the right side under Game options. You can also right-click the game and hit Download box art for selected games to automatically download the box art.
14. Press Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini.
That’s it. You can disconnect the mini from your computer after the process is complete. The game will be available on your console.
How-to Map Controller
You will need to map your controller and assign buttons from the PSP controller to your own controller. The NES control is limited so we recommend you upgrade to a Wii Classic Controller Pro. This is how you assign buttons to your controller:
1. After you launch the game, press Start & Select to open up the RetroArch menu.
2. Go to Options and go down to Controls.
On this page you will be able to configure your controller.
Adding More PSX Games in the Future
Adding more games in the future is easy.
1. Run hakchi.exe.
2. Hit Add more games and add your ROMs.
3. Configure your game.
4. Hit Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini.
5. When prompted, connect your NES Classic Mini and turn it on.
It’s that easy to add more games after the initial setup!
Please let us know which titles ran well for you. Thank you!